In January I started this program called “Couch to 10k” to jump-start my workout program. Like most other individuals..I don’t always have the best determination when it comes to working out. I love to do it..I just lack motivation from time to time.
After I reached my goal, I slacked off…and I definitely took a big workout hiatis this summer. So…I’m back to it and I have restarted the Couch to 10k program. I started a few weeks ahead this time, but I’m excited about sticking to a routine again.
Couch to 10k has an app for iphones and I’ve found that it really helps me stick to a routine. Here is what the app kind of looks like:
This is definitely a great app for beginner runners. Since I am not a beginner runner, I found my own way to make it work for me. I generally run the entire time…just change my pace when it says “walk” or “run”.
Some features I love about this app:
- You can use your own playlists when you run. I prefer to run to Pandora. To do this, you have to start your music and then go to the Couch to 10k app. BUT, if you use your own ipod playlists, you can control those from within the app.
- It will tell you when it’s time to run or walk. That way you don’t have to worry about looking at the clock..you just go until it tells you to change.
- It tells you when you are 1/2 way done! I personally love this for pace reasons.
- You can use other apps at the same time for mileage. I personally use the Map My Run app to track mileage and average minutes/mile, etc. But, you can also use Nike+ in the background to do mileage.
- It gives you workouts for 3 days a week. This gives you time to cross train and gain strength from other types of work outs (swimming, weights, biking…just to name a few)